Lululemon, Tasing, Bridge of Death, Locavores

Thursday, November 15th, 2007 — 7:43am PDT

Welcome to Thursday, the day before Friday, which is the day before we leave for America to see many members of my in-law family. Here are a few tidbits floating around the news this morning:

– The video caught by a witness to the tasering of a man at YVR earlier this month has been released to the public. In completely unrelated news story released yesterday, did you know Transit cops have been using tasers since the summer? Did you know their tasers have video cameras on them, “The recordings can also provide an accurate record of an incident if someone dies after being hit by a Taser, or if an officer is accused of wrongdoing.” Well that’s good to know.

On the radio this morning they were discussing the video and WHY the public should view it, after all it IS of a man dying. It makes me uneasy and I’ve only seen the first few minutes as it pretty much creeps me out to actually view something like that on film. The debate on the morning show was either a) see the video and form your opinion, b) don’t view it because there’s no need, no one should watch that tragedy or c) you can’t have an opinion unless you DO SEE it. With all the coverage its received in local media I think we’ll all end up seeing most of the video in some form.

This my 1,000th post on Miss604.com
This is what it all looked like after the first year – circa November, 2005

– My nemesis, the Pattullo (aka Bridge of Death) turns 70 today, which is one year older than the Lions Gate – but you can totally tell that the LG has had so much more work done, that perkiness and shade of green just isn’t natural.

Lululemon stocks plummet yesterday upon speculation that their super secret special sea weed fabric is no different than plain ol’ regular cotton. Honestly, if I were a much more clever person I would say something absolutely witty and Onion-esque right now…

– The Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation names its new emergency entrance in honor our the South Asian community: “Premier Gordon Campbell joined representatives from Fraser Health and Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation to unveil plans for the Guru Nanak Emergency Services Front Entrance, which will be the main entryway to the new emergency centre.”

– The Oxford American Dictionary proclaimed that “Locavore” was the Word of the Year for 2007:

“The “locavore” movement encourages consumers to buy from farmers’ markets or even to grow or pick their own food, arguing that fresh, local products are more nutritious and taste better. Locavores also shun supermarket offerings as an environmentally friendly measure, since shipping food over long distances often requires more fuel for transportation.” [OUPBlog].

I am pleased to announce that a runner up for Word of the Year was Pittsburgh’s own “bacn“. Others on the list included “cougar” in the Wheelhouse sense, and “tase”, to be stunned with a taser.

1. Meg says:

Ah, more evidence that you just can’t make sushi out of people.

2. Tyler Ingram says:

I drove over the Pattullo the other day. They need to put in a new bridge! no twinning, no adding to.. build a new one! See their building the GoldenEars Bridge in Pitt Meadows / Maple Ridge -> Langley

They are building a new Pitt River bridge (it will go over the old one so no more swing yay!!)

So build a new nice wide bridge for Surrey/New West!! To me.. twinning just puts more traffic over the river. Eventually they still all have to merge again 😉

3. John says:

I thought the Lululemon issue was because their stuff purports to be made of seaweed but in fact actually doesn’t contain any?

4. bz says:

I’m conflicted.

It shouldnt have come to that, and, unfortunately – I’m placing most of the blame at the feet of the victim and his family.

Yes, the police escalated the situation rather quickly – they didnt make any attempt to contact anyone who could communicate with him and they tasered him twice when all he had was a stapler…

BUT, why was a man arriving in Vancouver to meet his mother still wandering around TEN HOURS after his plane landed?

Didn’t he have a phone number for his mother to call her from the many pay phones?

Where was his mother? Didnt she know what time his plane landed? Wasnt she wondering why he hadn’t appeared 6,7, 8 hours after his flight landed?

A man died. It’s tragic. But common sense could have avoided the stressful situation that ultimately cost him his life.

What a shame.

John: you’re right, i’ve fixed it a little

“The company claims the fabric releases amino acids, minerals and vitamins into the skin, however the New York Times had that clothing tested in a lab, and found no significant difference between Lululemon’s VitaSea fabric and regular cotton.”

6. Tawcan says:

It was so sad hearing the full story and watching the video. The man was obviously in distress. I mean I’d probably be the same if I had to wander around the airport ten hours after my plane landed. Not to mention the man just quiet smoking the day before.

The Canadian Customs could of done a better job IMO. The cops certainly jumped the gun a bit too fast. This sad situation could of easily be prevented if there was an interpreter.

I was in shock to see one of the policemen putting his entire weight on this poor man’s neck and pinning him down. That is not how you should pin down someone.

7. Duane Storey says:

Have a great trip! Bring me something fun!

8. Keira-Anne says:

As much as I love the way Lululemon makes my ass look, I have a really hard time supporting their company from a business ethics standpoint. Their philosophies are in direct contradiction with the way that business is run. If they really believed that less is more in terms of lifestyle, we wouldn’t be paying $100 for a “luon” jacket.

9. Jennifer says:

I totally agree with Keira-Anne about Lululemon. Plus, from what I’ve heard, they are less than fantastic to work for from a corporate standpoint as well. Besides the butt-perfecting pants, I personally don’t like any of the rest of their stuff fits anyway.

10. twobutts says:

Apparently the RCMP is taking a page from the Third Reich’s manual on how to handle the mentally ill. Is this Canada’s protocol for immigrant population control? I’m from Detroit where a murder a day is status quo, yet find the tragic event at the Vancouver Airport reprehensible. Shame. I pray for Mrs. Dzienkanski and hope those responsible for her sons death are held accountable.

11. Bradley says:

First off no one deserved to die or be tased.

Second of all, shame on the YVR and Customs for not noticing or caring a man was standing there for so long

Thirdly, this man was holding up chairs, knocked over a computer and at times was yelling…….. obviously someone contacted security cause this man seemed “not normal”. Next thing you know, cops get a call saying there is someone throwing a chair and knocking over a computer and go check it out and quite understandably ready to defend theirselves.

If i was a cop and got that kind of call, id be on guard too. However i do believe that their reaction seemed a bit fast, but im not a cop so i cant say what is reasonable force and what isn’t.

12. Bradley says:

errr no one deserves to be tased as a first response is how that first sentence should of sounded 😛

13. dp says:

@bz,

It’s difficult to say what a person has to do to deserve being killed. Most civilized societies decide that they can’t do it and don’t.

On the other hand, the RCMP have a very chequered history, the low points of which have never been properly reconciled. It is long overdue.

14. 2bucks says:

8 2bucks

1) Why was Mr Dziekanski held by the airport staff [customs/security?] for so many hours?.
    2)How were they able to communicate with him if he spoke only Polish.
    3)Why did they release him? Was he delusional or agitated in their presence? If so why were mental heath workers/security not contacted?
    4)How or Why did the airport staff not locate him when his mother required about his whereabouts for the several hours she waited at the terminal?.
    5)What is the job description and qualifications for an airport security worker? Why did the security guard keep repeating that the man spoke only Russian?
    6)Why didn’t the RCMP give the man more time to settle down before using the taser? Why did they taser him again after he was on the floor writhing in pain?
    Without knowing the answers to the questions above, I can only say this. I have worked in two Psychiatric hospitals and a maximum security juvenile corrections center for a combined 15 years, and never was a taser used to subdue any out-of-control patient or adolescent and there were many,and they came in all shapes and sizes. If those 4 or 5 burly officers could not subdue that delusional man without a taser, God help any future innocent citizen/victim.

15. I was just going to make the same comment as John B, but I see that you changed the text for the evening edition of your blog, so I’ll just go away now. 🙂

Except to say: The whole claim that clothing can add vitamins to the wearer’s skin is just ridiculous in itself.

Next thing you know, chafing pants will be marketed as having “exfoliating action components”. 🙂

16. darren says:

And the stock turns around…

Today’s press talks about lulu’s strike back against the nay-sayers. The Globe actually has diagrams from the german manufactuer explaining how it’s actually made and that it DOES in fact contain the stuff.

What a PR dream this has become!

17. […] A bit of backlash mixed with acceptance in regards to the naming of the new Surrey Memorial Hospital ER after a Sikh leader. “We already have a hospice for terminally ill children named after a […]

18. […] any or all of my previous posts about the Pattullo [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] […]

Goodbye, Mr. Kripps