John “Gassy Jack” Deighton had a saloon in New Westminster but it wasn’t until he headed around to the Burrard Inlet that he left an indelible mark on our city. In 1867 he told mill workers along the harbour that they could have all the whiskey they could drink if they helped him build a saloon. The Globe was up and running in 24 hours [source].
Nowadays Gassy Jack’s town is still a hub for good times, spirits, and sudsy beverages – and The Lamplighter has had a lot to do with that atmosphere over the last 85 years.
“The Lamplighter Pub opened its doors on the ground floor of the Dominion Hotel in 1925, obtaining British Columbiaâ€™s first liquor license and becoming the first speakeasy of its kind to serve alcohol to women. The pub is named after John Clough, who lit the coal oil lamps along Gastownâ€™s brick streets in 1887 before Vancouver introduced electric lights. Today, much of the original exposed brick, tin stamped ceilings, stained glass windows and railings still remain, with the addition of a new sound system, flat screen televisions, French doors and garden-style patio. Located at 92 Water Street, this Gastown institution is now the go-to place for live music, DJs, sports or hanging out with friends, old and new [source].”