Each year Heritage Vancouver lists their Top Ten Endangered Sites around the city. These are libraries, schools, motels, theatres, and other structures whose fate is uncertain or threatened. The 2012 list will be revealed exclusively during a bus tour next month.
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2012
Time: 1pm to 5pm (loading begins at 12:30pm and bus departs at 1pm sharp)
Location: Meet in the Vancouver Museum Parking Lot, 1100 Chestnut St.
Tickets: Available online for $30, Heritage Vancouver Members $25
Heritage Vancouver has been keeping a list of endangered sites since 2001. The 2012 list will be revealed to the public after the bus tours.
Top Ten Endangered Sites 2011
1. Vancouver Schools: Carleton (1896, 1908 to 1912)
2. Vancouver Schools: Kitchener (1914 & 1924)
3. Vancouver Schools: Sexsmith (1912 & 1913)
4. Shannon Estate (1915 to 1925)
5. Strathcona North of Hastings
6. Gordon T. Legg Residence (1899) [updated]
7. Collingwood Library (1951)
8. Lower Mount Pleasant
9. Granville Street (1888 on)
10. 2400 Motel (1946)
The first bus for the 2012 tour has sold out so they are currently filling up another. Get your tickets today to enjoy this informative guided tour in a Transit Museum Society (TRAMS) historic bus. Tour guides are Donald Luxton, well-known author and heritage expert and the President of Heritage Vancouver, and Anthony Norfolk, head of Heritage Vancouver‘s Advocacy Group.