Though it’s commonly known outside of the country as a beanie, wool hat or a knit-cap, it’s a toque to us and it’s playing an important role on Tuesday as it helps find long term solutions to end homelessness in Canada.
Toque Tuesday is a part of a national campaign that has been running for the last 18 years and this Tuesday, February 3, 2015 thousands of volunteers across the country will be selling toques for a cause.
Toques are $10 each with 80% of net funds staying right in the communities where they are sold. The remaining 20% of funds raised from toque sales will go to Raising the Roof’s national projects. In Vancouver the beneficiaries are the Lookout Emergency Aid Society and Pacific Community Resources Society (“PCRS”).
The public and businesses can also help out by selling toques in their workplaces, get-togethers and other venues. For more information on how to help sell toques, email Lani at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in volunteering can contact Janice at email@example.com.
Head to one of these locations on Tuesday, February 3, 2015 to purchase your toque:
Granville station 7:00am to 9:00am
Waterfront station 7:00am to 9:00am
Burrard station 7:00am to 9:00am
Cambie & Broadway station 7:00am to 9:00am
Vancouver City Centre (Pacific Centre) 7:00am to 9:00am
Surrey Central SkyTrain Station 6:30am to 8:00am; 11:00am to 1:00pm
Scott Road, Gateway, King George stations 7:00am to 9:00am
Raising the Roof Hockey Challenge, City Hall Plaza, Surrey City Hall (13450 104 Ave). Hockey teams from the Surrey Fire fighters, RCMP, BC LIONS, Surrey Eagles, Local MLA’s and representatives from Community Service providers such as the Surrey Urban Mission and KEYS.
New West Station 7:30am to 10:00am
Columbia Station 7:30am to 10:00am
New Westminster City Hall (511 Royal Ave) 8:30am to 4:30pm
Lonsdale Quay Seabus Station: 7:00am to 10:00am
If you can’t get to any of these locations, you can order a toque online and indicate that you are making your purchase for Lookout Society so that it benefits local Vancouver programs.
Follow Raising the Roof on Facebook and Twitter, the Lookout Society in Vancouver on Facebook and Twitter, and PCRS on Twitter and Facebook to learn more about Toque Tuesday and other national and local initiatives.
Raising the Roof provides strong and effective national leadership on long-term solutions to homelessness through partnership and collaboration with diverse stakeholders, investment in local communities, and public education.