Miss604 728X90
Day Tripping: Squamish
Vancouver 2010 House of Switzerland Grand Opening

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay Route in Vancouver

February 6th, 2010 @ 12:51pm (PT) by Rebecca Bollwitt

After 105 days on the road the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay is making its way to the host City at the end of this coming week. We know a few special guests will be carrying the flame for a leg, including Steve Nash (NBA) and Trevor Linden (NHL). Here’s the official Torch Relay map for its journey through Vancouver proper.

NOTE These times are when the legs begin, there are several torch-bearers on each leg as they only go about 300 meters each. These are NOT exact times for the people mentioned below, these are the starting times of the legs.

February 11, 2010 Day 105 – Vancouver

Safeway parking lot, Kingsway Avenue and Tyne Street
49th Avenue and Killarney Street
Trout Lake Community Centre, 3350 Victoria Drive
Vancouver City Hall, 12th Avenue and Cambie Street
BC Children’s Hospital, 28th Avenue and Oak Street (Jann Arden)
RCMP Monument, 37th Avenue and Heather Street
5:19 pm
6:14 pm
6:52 pm
7:44 pm
8:00 pm

February 12, 2010 Day 106 – Vancouver

Prospect Point, Stanley Park (Schwarzenegger to Coe)
Denman Street and Davie Street
Inukshuk, Beach Avenue
BC Pavilion, Robson Street and Howe Street
Chinatown Millennium Gate, Pender Street and Taylor Street
Victory Square, Hastings and Cambie Street
Aboriginal Friendship Centre, Hastings and Woodland Drive
Hastings Community Centre, East Hastings Street and Renfrew Street
Adanac Street and Rupert Street
Thunderbird Community Centre 5th Avenue and Cassiar Street
Canada Line Olympic Village, 2nd Avenue and Cambie Street
Granville Island to Yaletown Ferry Docks (Rumoured to be by Dragon Boat)
Yaletown Ferry Docks, foot of Davie Street
10:38 am
11:18 am
12:38 pm
12:59 pm
1: 27 pm
1:44 pm

Click here to download the full PDF map including celebration site locations.

Update February 8, 2010 I have updated the post with a few of the torch-bearers’ names including Arnold Schwarzenegger [via Vancouver Sun]. Since many on Twitter expressed confusion over this selection, I thought I would put it to a poll.

What do you think of Arnold Schwarzenegger being a torch-bearer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Update February 11, 2010 My sources tell me Steve Nash will run at 4:16pm on February 11th (today) and that Michael Buble will be along Pacific around 7:50pm. Also, Trevor Linden will be at 3:50pm today near Main and 37th.

• Enter here to win a 4 pack of Vancouver Christmas Market passes (until November 25)
  • Enter here to win 1 of 2 robotic toys from Best Buy (until November 25)
  • Enter here to win your way into a glass ornament making workshop (until November 26)
  • Enter here to win 4 tickets to the Vancouver Giants' Teddy Bear Toss game night (until November 27)
  • Enter here to win a Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge prize pack (until November 28)
  • View a complete list of contests »

1. @polarisdotca says:

The torch run is passing a block from my house and my kids’ school! The whole school is heading out to watch the torch go by! Hope I don’t end up bawling with pride in front of my kids and neighbours.

2. Tyler Ingram says:

It’s going to run past our place on the 12th but unfortunately we’ll be on our way up to the WOP for Ski Jump.

We’re thinking of heading over to WestVan Rec Centre on the 10th to catch the flame there though.

3. Matt says:

Thanks for the summary. Me thinks Burrard Bridge is going to be quite the party (see Molson Brewery).

4. Robyn says:

I guess Arnie’s filmed enough movies in Vancouver to be considered locally relevant. Althouth it does seem like an odd choice.

5. Lady Fabulous says:

Arnie carrying the torch is bizzare. Maybe it’s because we are Hollywood North?
    Going to see it tonight at Holland Park!

6. Tyler Ingram says:

I think its neat that Arnie is carrying the torch..but it is odd since he’s not part of Vancouver (other than what…just movies?)

I’m disappointed I won’t be in town for this stretch of the torch though, seems like we’re missing out on some things going up to our event.

7. Dan says:

Robyn, Arnie’s never filmed a movie in Vancouver, the closest he got was preproduction in Vancouver for Terminator 3 but moved back to Los Angeles when he decided to run for the Governator position.

8. Dan says:

Oh wait, sorry, forgot about that “Sixth Day” movie.

9. Patricia says:

It’s ridiculous

10. Kev says:

Forget Jann Arden…which leg is Linden runnnig?!

11. Kate W says:

VERY weird that Arnold is chosen… not only is he is American, but he has played a major part in crippling this cities film industry when he started offeing tax-credit incentives to productions that would do business in California over Canada. I understand his want to do help out his own but his low-carbon zone love affair with mayor Gregor Rovertson doesn’t justify holding the torch when so many others are more deserving!!!

12. Great post Rebecca, it’s super helpful to see the Olympic Torch route outlined like that. I’m not sure if you know this or not but we’ve got a ton of cool torch videos on our YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/canadiantourism

13. Barb says:

where is the torch going to be on the MORNING of the 11th? I can’t seem to find any mention of it prior to 12:46 ???

14. deb says:

Arnold Schwarznegger? Why? He’s not Canadian! He’s not a winter olympiad! He was outraged at all the films being made in Canada, so he changed the taxes for them in California! Who the hell was impressed with this idea? I’m not!

15. Rod says:

I think it great having Arnold Schwarznegger.

16. Bobby says:

Thank you for being the only place I could find that mentions which Torchbearer will be running & when!
    Any idea where/when Linden is running???

17. Ganzo says:

They should get Ryan Reynolds to carry the torch…the guy is from Vancouver and is rising movie star

18. Brandi says:

I am very upset that we have Arnold running the torch, he is not Canadian! I tell you right now if it was the 2010 California Olympics we would not see Gordon Campbell running the last stride!Yes it is cool to have a big Hollywood star to come join in on the torch run but they could have called up Micheal J Fox to do it or even Wayne Gretzky?

19. Debra says:

Thanks for posting this information further to the info you had responded to my email inquiry. I’m still wondering where Trevor Linden is going to run though! Anyone?

20. isabelle says:

i`m going to the torch relay friday

21. Wendy O says:

I don’t get it. Do other countries ask guests from other countries to carry the torch? Maybe Arnold should get free tickets to an event but not take the torch away from a Canadian,

22. johnjohn says:

arnie is cool. its only 300m. let the man run boys, let the man run.

23. wendy says:

Where is Wayne Gretzky??? and all the other great hockey players!! why weren’t they asked?? Mark Messier, Kevin Lowe and all the superstars in hockey and other Canadian sports.. otherwise keep it for the luck of the draw with Canadian locals!
    Who are proud to carry the torch!

24. Malika says:

Don’t understand why Arnold is going to carry the flamme he is not Canadian, why don’t you choose canadian people.

25. Phanyxx says:

Thanks for posting this information. Now I’ll be able to photo-stalk the torch bearers with more accuracy! lol

26. Marti says:

answer to question re torch on 11th am – torch is in Burnaby.
    They have not done a good job of promoting the smaller areas of run. google torch run and get the interactive map for all times and locations.

27. Coach T.I.A says:

I had no idea it was passing thru the Westend! Thanks for this, I am SO getting up early to go see it :D @TiaSparkles

28. Elie says:

Arnold Schwarzenegger should not be a torch bearer, he is American and his only concern is for his own country. I’m sure the USA would never have a Canadian carry the touch in their run. We have so many deserving Canadian athletes (hockey….) or even actors (many of whom do a lot for charities) if they needed a big name. Any Canadian could and should be chosen above an American.

29. beep says:

Isn’t it AGAINST THE LAW to have THE GOVERNATOR carrying the torch. It’s supposed to be Athlete’s and Local people in community only.. Why is Vanoc so greasy and corrupt??

30. Matt says:

I think that it is GREAT to have Arnold as a torch bearer! I think that Arnold represents all things olympic and is a motivation to millions around the world. It is a dream come true for my friends and family to see Arnold representing the Olympics in Vancouver. If you just get past the oddness of his selection(I admit) you can recognize how inspiring his life has been and how the Olympics are actually a perfect venue for Arnold to represent.

31. Roxanne says:

All things Olympian?! The man is a known steroid user… Now there’s a good role model for athletes :(

via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Schwarzenegger
    Schwarzenegger has admitted to using performance-enhancing anabolic steroids while they were legal, writing in 1977 that “steroids were helpful to me in maintaining muscle size while on a strict diet in preparation for a contest. I did not use them for muscle growth, but rather for muscle maintenance when cutting up.” He has called the drugs “tissue building.”[25]

Schwarzenegger publicly defended his use of anabolic steroids during his bodybuilding career.[30]

And my favourite:
    via http://www.schwarzenegger-interactive.com/steroids.html
    1996: “I used steroids. It was a risky thing to do, but I have no regrets. It was what I had to do to compete. The danger with steroids is overusage. I only did it before a difficult competition – for two months, but not for a period of time that could harm me. And then afterward, it was over. I would stop. I have no health problems, no kidney damage or anything like that from using them.”

32. C says:

Arnold was actually invited by Gordo (Gordon Campbell) to attend the Olympics because they have established a close friendship over the years with their agreeing views and partnering on environmental concerns, issues and projects. Once Arnold accepted Gordo’s invitation, Gordo then asked Arnold if he’d like to hold the torch and this is why The Terminator is now carrying the torch.

33. eternalcanadian says:

Great to see the schedule, but where will it be before noon on Feb. 11???

34. Kevin W says:

people are telling me that Linden is running on Main Street.

35. leifer says:

i think its fucking awesome that the terminator is running 3 blocks away from my home!

36. John Thomas says:

Listen up

The Torch is in the Tri-Cities and then Burnaby prior to hitting Vancouver on Feb 11. Look up the torch relay on the official website and stop asking where the f’king torch is before it gets to Vancouver

37. jody says:

One thing to say to arnie, “Yankee go home!!!!”
    This is a Canadian event.

38. iang says:

Arnie filmed The Sixth Day here and ran afoul of the admin at SFU when the crew wrecked the AQ steps during the 58 Chevy stunt. SFU sued the production company for $30,000 plus damages and stopped any large scale productions for many years, this included the X Men 2/3 who wanted to use SFU.

If you want to know why Arnie has been dead set against Hollywood North productions, this is as good a reason as any.

39. iang says:

I think it is illuminating that Arnie is carrying the torch and that one of his Austrian countrymen started the torch relay in 1936 at the Berlin Olympics – history is funny that way.

40. I see no reason why Arnie should be carrying the torch…who is He to Canada

41. My dad, Pierre Choquette, is carrying the torch today at 2:34 pm! We are so proud of him!

42. I see no reason why Arnie should be carrying the torch…who is He to Canada, nothing.

43. Arnie’s story is amazing – he’s a champion in so many ways. Furthermore he’s pushing hard for environmental causes and think that’s why the City of Vancouver (Mayor, Gregor Robertson) invited him to run the torch – he’s a fan of Vancouver and will ultimately praise the sustainability factors of the Vancouver 2010.

44. PG says:

To the people dissin’ Arnie and anyone else they don’t think should be carrying the Torch: Chill!!! The Olympics, (and the Torch) is an international event, NOT a Canadian event. Over the last 3 Olympics, over 50 Canadians ran with the Torch on foreign soil. It’s how it works. Read a book and get informed.

45. baby donkee says:

I think it’s pretty dumb that VANOC doesn’t release a complete list of who is running and what time! It’s insanity trying to figure out where people are running.
    Also think it’s very stupid VANOC hasn’t published a list of all the sights and pavilions for locals & tourists to visit. Went to Canada Northern House yesterday and overheard a tourist sounding very confused about where these sites are. Understand we are trying to be green olympics but this is just bad communication.

46. Tiffany Young says:

What a beautiful thing today! My only question is, why do we have to wait for such big events to see the human spirit flourish?

47. Wier says:

Saw Walter Gretzky this morning and Dal Richards on the Zamboni at Robson Square. It was great!

48. Todd says:

Olympic Torch on dragon boat and voyageur canoe!
    Great – it was really exciting paddling behind the official torch boats in a flotilla of 6 dragon boats and 6 outrigger canoes, to represent our paddling community. We did photo sessions with torch bearers Hugh Fisher and Kamini Jain afterwards.

International Torch Bearers.
    In previous years, The torch has visited many different countries enroute to the host country. This year, to avoid similarities to the Anti-China protests in London, San Francsico etc… the Torch Run was exclusively in Greece, Canada and a short visit to the US/Canada Pacific Border Crossing.

By having international torch runners from Brazi (in Nova Scotia), China (in Penticton) Arnold in Stanley Park, and many others across the country – It allows a larger audience from around the world to learn more about Canada and Canadians.

Taking a spot by a Canadian? We already created the longest & largest torch relay in a single country? We probably already created the highest ratio of torchbearers to a country’s overall population.

I think The Olympic Torch Relay did a great job, and it was an emotional speech that one of the torch relay staff gave to the 180 paddlers of the dragon boat flotilla, after it was all over. She started in Victoria back in October, then travelled all over this HUGE country we have, and she said to end it on False Creek with two Olympians – kayakers Hugh Fraser and Kamini Jain passing it from dragon boat to voyageur canoe – was a tremendous highlight.

Day Tripping: Squamish